Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The 61st Primetime Emmy Awards Predictions - Part 1

While the Emmy Award show isn't for another month, I though I'd take some time and throw out some predictions of who the winners will be. In this first part I will discuss the shows that have been nominated.  In future posts I'll take a closer look at the individual categories.

Outstanding Drama Series
  • Big Love
  • Breaking Bad
  • Damages
  • Dexter
  • House
  • Lost
  • Mad Men
I'll be honest and let you know that I have never watched Damages or House, but I don't think they really stand a chance anyway.  Mad Men pulled out the win last year and I can't see why it shouldn't be the front runner this year.  Dexter may get some more love this year as I think it's gaining some more buzz.  Lost is an amazing show on the way out and while Big Love & Breaking Bad are truly wonderful programs, they are niche shows which don't have the same wide following as Mad Men.

Outstanding Comedy Series
  • 30 Rock
  • Entourage
  • Family Guy
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • The Office
  • Weeds
Wow, what a packed category!  I am a fan of all of these shows, but 30 Rock is the critics darling.  It really is a shame, but I don't see 30 Rock not winning.  Entourage just doesn't have enough to be truly appreciated by the critics; Family Guy is completely hit or miss now; Flight of the Conchords is still building their fan base; How I Met Your Mother is an under appreciated gem on broadcast television; Weeds has dramatically fallen off since Season 3.  The Office has the most legitimate chance of upsetting 30 Rock, but I just don't see it happening.

Outstanding Miniseries
  • Generation Kill
  • Little Dorrit
I would truly be shocked if Generation Kill doesn't win.

Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series
  • The Colbert Report
  • The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
  • Late Show with David Letterman
  • Real Time with Bill Maher
  • Saturday Night Live
This category has the same list of nominees from last year where The Daily Show won.  The Colbert Report has the best chance of taking over for The Daily Show, but it's a spin off and I think that will have something to do with how the votes are cast.  SNL has really been good the past few years, but not amazing.  Real Time with Bill Maher is just too political and the Late Show is what it has been for the past six or seven years.

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
  • The Amazing Race
  • American Idol
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • Project Runway
  • Top Chef
Undoubtedly the best of this category is The Amazing Race and I think it will definitely repeat from last year.  Drama, action and great character development is something you'd expect from a dramatic series but you get the same from a reality program.  The rest of the nominees just don't have the same overall appeal.

Outstanding Reality Program
  • Antiques Roadshow
  • Dirty Jobs
  • Dog Whisperer
  • Intervention
  • Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
This is a new category this year for the Emmy's.  I've watched all of these shows at some point, except the Kathy Griffin show because I find her very irritating.  All are great shows in their own right, but I'll have to give the nod to Intervention.  An absolutely riveting show that quickly brings you in and keeps you interested to the very end.  The raw human emotions exhibited in this show won't allow you to turn away.


I'll have my predictions for the acting and writing categories in the coming weeks...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

30 Rock deserves to win on one line alone from last season. Tracy's line in this had me nearly pissing myself:

They do that a lot in movies...

Unknown said...

I can't wait for the Emmy's again. Last year the show was so incredible, and I was blow away with the beatiful LED video wall display.